Saturday, April 22, 2006

Notes from the 2006 Indy Japan 300 at Twin Ring Motegi

Notes taken from the ESPN broadcast of the Indy Japan 200 at Twin Ring Motegi on 4/22/06.

Holy budget cuts! Jerry Punch, MD, goes solo on the track reporter front. No Jamie (maybe her height and blonde hair scared the Japanese fans). No Vince. No Jack the Root.

First mention of Danica is under two minutes in! Someone must have sent the ABC/ESPN guys a memo: "MORE DANICA." After relatively little about her during the first two races, it's a Danica Fest!

Danica Montage! FHM photos. Complete with audio from Todd Harris from last year. Good times, Todd. Somewhere in a bar Todd is screaming "ROOKIE SENSATION." Jerry Punch, MD, with Danica who is sporting her Jumbo Shades again. Jerry: What did you learn last year here? Danica is stumped. Not sure. Jerry: what's your strategy? Danica: move up fast.

Rusty and Scott. Rusty -- Danica is good. Scott -- Danica is good. Last year was her "coming out party."

Video of first practice -- Sam going ass-first into the wall. Video of second practice.
Jeff "No Relation to Gene" Simmons in the ultra-stylish ethanol car going into the wall. Everybody go out and buy a tank of E10 to make Jeff's sponsors feel better!

Punch and Helio. Helio says turn 1 and 2 are flat out, turn 3 and 4 you have to drop two gears. Set up is a challenge. Do you set up for turn 1 and 2 or 3 and 4? Punch gives him an egg. The track is egg shaped. Get it?

WTF? ESPN is repeating the SAME EXACT video that we just saw two minutes ago. Danica montage. Danica interview. Video of race accidents. Helio interview. The egg from Punch. Nice. It's like the Groundhog Day movie. Maybe ESPN is letting the college mascots that run around their offices handle the tape replay. I hear there's a high school media production class in Trenton, N.J. that does a good job.

Come on, let's light this candle.

We're back from a commercial and it's lap 17. WTF again?
ESPN did not show the start. Shocking. Dude, seriously, this is just sad. I hope some production manager at ESPN is screaming into the phone right now.

Let me bust out the lap chart and go back in time for ya: Lap 10 -- Helio, Dixon, Wheldon, Hornish, Franchitti, Kanaan, Matsuura, Herta, Meira, The Famous Author Danica.

The televised race started on lap 17. I'm seriously tempted to just bag the whole race and go watch a soccer game. But no, pressdog hangs in there.

Helio is dominating. Posting the top nine laps of the race. Marty Ried talks about lack of yellows.

Helio puts Simmons (Jeff, not Gene) a lap down. Major air for Jeff. Tough situation coming in after Paul Dana's death.

Lap 25 -- Wheldon, Helio, Dixon, Dario, Sammy, Kanaan, Matsuura, Herta, Vitor, Scheckter (Danica 11th)

Lap 27 -- yellow yellow yellow. Enge is junk. Smoldering black car. Eddie Carpenter is junk as well. Enge is getting out of the car.

Commercial number 82 in the first 30 laps of the race. Marty says we'll be right back, but I wonder on what lap. Maybe we come back from the commercial and it's lap 65, or it's the start of the race. Video guys are clearly involved in drinking games or doing shots every time Rusty Wallace says "I tell you what..."

We're back, right on the tail end of Punch's report. Seriously. We hear his last four words. I have no f-ing idea what is going on. But, hey, let's go to another commercial!

IndyCar Series Magazine ad. Maybe I can buy it and read about the start of the Motegi race, which ESPN thinks is none of my business, apparently.

Coming back into the race, Jeff Simmons says he's a huge sushi fan, so life is good in Japan. Ed Carpenter says the Japanese have great cucumbers. (?)

Race summary, in case you are joining us late, or have been here the whole time ...

Green green green. Yellow Yellow Yellow. Sharp gets sideways in front of the start-finish. Everyone else is on the binders. SIMMONS IS AIRBORNE. Does one barrel roll in mid air and lands again. Forget burning ethanol, Jeff is going to have a shot of the stuff (ethanol distilled for cars is the same exact stuff as the alcohol in beer and wine). Sharp back to the pits. He's rear wingless from the Simmons impact. PJ Chesson is toast as well. Sharp nuked the rookies.

Replay. Major props to the flag man. He hung in there, waving his yellow flag wildly, even leaning over the flag stand thing as debris and Jeff Simmons's entire car flew up in the air toward him. The flag man has major cajones. I would have been diving for cover.

We got 24 laps of yellow as they sweep up the combined crashes.

Scott Sharp with Punch -- no idea what happened. Snapped around on me.

Scott Goodyear -- once you start to slide, you're just a passenger. Goodyear laments Simmons's departure. He came up from the Indy Lights, Goodyear says. I think Scotty meant the Indy Pro Series. Indy Lights is long gone.

Punch with Enge, who has already changed into his street clothes. Enge says he was going for the pits and something in the front end broke. "At that point, I was just a passenger."

Marty throws Japan TV under the bus by saying that video supplied by them was not conclusive on what happened in the Enge crash, so thank God for Punch.

Lap 52 -- green green green.

Lap 53 -- Helio, Wheldon, Dario, Kanaan, Sam, Dixon, Matsuura, Herta, Buddy Rice, Danica.

Helio throws an NFL-worthy block. Booth guys are pretty sure the Iron Hand of Justice, Brian Barnhart, will be cracking down. Danica and Matsuura almost touch. Vitor is rampaging up the field. Rusty drops "hot rod" reference number 1.

Helio ahead by 1.1 seconds. Get used to it. Rice up to 4th by lap 73. Started 18. He's almost as good as Danica. Danica is 9th after starting 14th.

Lap 75 -- (Stop me if you've heard this one before) Helio, Wheldon, Kanaan, Dixon, Dario, Sam, Buddy Rice, Herta, Danica, Matsuura.

Punch -- Danica feeling good about her car. I'm pleased to hear it. Renewed discussion in the booth about how important Motegi was to Danica last year. Coming out party. Knew she belonged. Rusty says no question she belongs. "This gal is very focused." Buddy is on the move. Let's talk more about Danica.

Marty slaps Japan TV again: "Our friends at Japanese television finally show us Kanaan."

Green pit cycle. Rusty begins starting every sentence with "I tell ya what." Mario in for a pit.
(An alert poster below reminds me that Mario was not, in fact, in the race. It was Marco. I think they may be related.) Rusty: "I tell ya what, hope he doesn't snap the half shaft this time." Much cycling. We're through it by lap 100.

Lap 101 -- Helio, Dixon, Kanaan, Dario, Wheldon, Sammy, Herta, Rice, Danica, Scheckter.

Lap 109 Wheldon working on Kanaan. Marty says "if you were with us during pre-race, you heard Helio talking about" the different turns. Actually, Marty, we heard it twice. Which was better than actually seeing the start of the race.

Rusty: "I tell ya what ..."

Wheldon around TK on Lap 115, Much momentum talk again. Motegi Momentum. Momentum going into Indy. Indy is coming up. Don't miss the Indy 500.

AGR 5th in points, being bitch slapped hard by Penske and TCG. Matsuura is tied for 5th in points as well. Team Penske has led 317 of the first 400 laps of the season. That is a bitch slapping.

Rusty: "I tell ya what ..."

Hot rod reference number 2

Rusty: "I tell ya what ..."

Rusty: "I tell ya what ..."

If I was drinking every time he said "I tell ya what" I'd be mega twisted right now.

Lap 125 -- Helio, Dixon, Dario, Wheldon, Kanaan, Hornish, Herta, Rice, Danica, Scheckter.

Rusty, who just got done saying Helio was on fire to have 40 more horsepower this year than last year (when he had a pig Toyota) tries to recover the diss to Toyota. "Last year Toyota engines which were good engines, don't get me wrong, but ..." they mainly got bitch slapped every race.

Kanaan in with a leaking tire. Wheldon around Dario on lap 129.

Rusty: "I tell ya what I'd rather be on the tail end of the lead lap for sure." Too much saki in the both. Rusty is starting to double up his "tell ya what's" with two or more in a single sentence.

Lap 130 Helio in.

139 -- Helio's lead is UNDER A SECOND. This is a huge news development in this race.

Danica is surrendering 8th place to come into the pits, Marty says. Dixon around Helio. Touched tires. Dixon backs off.

Lap 143 -- Dario comes into his pit box going about 50 mph. Takes out one of his crew guys! Tire changer down. Slow mo replay. Looks nasty. Guy has some kind of leg injury, gotta be.

Lap 151 -- Helio, Wheldon, Hornish, Dario, Herta, Rice, Danica, Matsuura, Vitor, Dixon

Dixon pits. STALLS IT. Can't get underway. Pushing and restarting. Crazy. Punch says the guy down in Dario's pit is Steve Price and the IRL safety posse is on the job. He's sitting on pit wall. He'll get checked out later.

Commercial. Marty: Stay with us. Could go to the wire like Homestead (if there is a dramatic departure from the way the race has gone for the first 150 laps).

Back from commercial. Felipe into the wall. Got up into the marbles. He's done. AJ with Punch -- AJ says Felipe struggling all day. "Just one of them racing deals." Getting lapped by Sam and "he (Sam) likes to use a lot of race track." BAM. Super Tex is always good for one zinger.

167 -- green green. Buddy passes Danica. Kanaan around Sam on lap 170.

Rusty: "I tell ya what ..."

Rice may have blocked Matsuura. I'm sure Barnhart is CRACKING DOWN.

Rusty: "I tell ya what ..."

Penske has now led 388 of 475 laps. If this were a boxing match, the ref would stop it.

Lap 175 -- Helio (shocker) Wheldon, Kanaan, Hornish, Herta, Rice, Matsuura, Danica, Dixon (lap down), Vitor (lap down).

21 laps to go. Helio stretching it out in a Sebastien Bourdais-ish fashion. Driving one handed. Talking on his cell phone. Lap 185 Helio ahead by 4 seconds.

I think Rusty said something here about a top-5 finish for Rahal Letterman would be like the cure for cancer. I tell ya what, I'm not sure what he's saying.

Rusty says there is going to be some passing soon! Only if you count cars passing the start-finish line as "passing."

190 -- Helio (I swear!), Wheldon, Kanaan, Hornish, Rice, Herta, Matsuura, Danica, Dixon, Meira.

Helio is ahead by 5.4 seconds. Five laps to go. Riding with Wheldon. THE SUSPENSE IS KILLING ME.

200 -- Helio, Wheldon, Kanaan, Hornish, Rice, Herta, Matsuura, Danica (last car on the lead lap), Dixon (1 lap down), Vitor (1 lap down).

Helio climbs the fence. Almost hugs and kisses Punch during the post-win interview. Says again "I drove it like I stole it." Gives a shout out to the team.

14 cars running at the end. Danica was 8th. Wheldon sports some new white shades. Says the event was fantastic.

I was so moved by ESPN's dedication to quality, I decided to check through this for typos and such later. Just slap it up there!

22 Comments:

At 4/22/2006 03:21:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is gotta be the funniest damn thing i've read in months. I loved it!! More, More !!

 
At 4/22/2006 07:32:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I tell ya what, pressdog... this is GREAT. I missed the race today (sounds like sort of a sleeper anyway), but would miss your notes for the world!

 
At 4/22/2006 07:50:00 PM, Blogger pressdog said...

Thanks dudes. The race was kind of a snoozer, but the announcing posse and ESPN stepped up to fill in with some amusement.

 
At 4/22/2006 09:23:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Jumbo shades are in this year, apparently.

But not the jumbo shades you wear over the top of prescription glasses; those still are only for use if you're on the way to the buffet around 3:30 so you can be home for Matlock.

 
At 4/22/2006 10:41:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

"I'll tell ya what" You're the goods, Dog. I KNEW you would have fun with this POS telecast. Always look forward to your race notes.

 
At 4/23/2006 03:01:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Can't wait for this level of quality coverage for next year's unified series.

 
At 4/23/2006 03:57:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yo - you said you checked for typos.. I saw a 'here' instead of a 'hear'..

Oh, you also forgot one of the funniest moments of the broadcast! Right after Dario gone done driving over his crew, Scott Dixon pulled into the pitlane and someone said something along the lines of "Here's Dixon coming in for his stop, these boys will show us how to do a perfect pitstop" - and then what happens, HE STALLS IT... TWICE! They had to pull it back to the box.

All in all, the race & broadcast was amateur-hour. From spinning by yourself on a restart, to slamming on the brakes (Chiasson) with a car accelerating behind you (tough situation, but Simmons had 0 chance to react), to running over your crew, to stalling your car twice.. Tony would have gone done better calling it the ARL..

Btw, as you pointed out - why is it that Danica wears such U-G-L-Y sunglasses. Danicle makes Yoko Ono look like fashionable!!

 
At 4/23/2006 03:59:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

btw, I didn't proof-read my post, as you can tell.

 
At 4/23/2006 08:59:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

"Mario in for a pit"

Was he subbing for Marco?

 
At 4/23/2006 09:12:00 AM, Blogger pressdog said...

Mario. Marco. Are they related at all?

 
At 4/23/2006 11:04:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great stuff 'dog. Anyway, regarding the Simmons/Indy Lights connection, I was corrected at DolanForum. Simmons did indeed run Indy Lights in 2000 for Team Green.

I don't think Goodyear was referring to that, but technically, he didn't goof.


I sent an e-mail to WindTunnel congratulating ESPN on being the first to totally botch a tape-delayed, edited production

 
At 4/23/2006 11:21:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

"Can't wait for this level of quality coverage for next year's unified series."

In all seriousnes, that worries me, provided there is a merged series. Apparently, Disney has the right of first refusal for any unified series. For the love of God, ABC, please, please refuse!

 
At 4/23/2006 12:12:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'll tell ya what...

 
At 4/24/2006 11:24:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Don't worry, next year Rusty will be gone and ABC and ESPN will care less about the IRL once their NASCAR coverage begins. It's funny how willing you are to put down a guy (Rusty) who was willing to come in and take a mjor chance by announcing Indy Car races. He's done a lot to learn about the cars, and yes has a ways to go, but he is trying. I'm sure he knew diehard fans of the series wouldn't like him being there in the first place. Forget the fact that he's bringing a lot of new fans to the telecasts. I don't thing open wheel fans have ever been happy with who's broadcasting their races. But just a little hint, if may not be the announcers that make it boring, ir may be the races.

 
At 4/24/2006 12:45:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well Pressdog, you've gone and done, made a joke about a NASCAR icon! Shame on you! That's my attempt at sarcasm. I appreciate your notes and your take on things. I look forward to them after every broadcast. Keep it up! You're the best!

 
At 4/24/2006 03:23:00 PM, Blogger pressdog said...

I honestly feel a little bad. Serioiusly. I don't doubt that Rusty is giving it a good effort. If he stops saying "I tell ya what" in front of every sentence, he dramatically improves his performance right there.

 
At 4/24/2006 05:02:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

One more thing, I was the one defending Rusty and made a comment about the IRL being boring. Truth is the Homestead race was as exciting as it gets in any form of racing. I've been a Rusty Wallace fan since he was running short tracks in the mid-west, so Sunday's have a huge void in them now. Maybe I should find a church now? Anyway, I probably should not be so defensive, but honestly I think he was in a no win situation this year. It's his first full time announcing gig, so there's going to be some rough edges, he admittedly has much to learn about Indy cars, and there are many who don't like a NASCAR guy coming into their series. But it just makes me respect him that much more. Anyway, sorry for the rant earlier and this one. But you should know, Rusty has made me, and I know many others, IRL fans now. For the first time in my life, I'm excited for Indy!

 
At 4/24/2006 05:08:00 PM, Blogger pressdog said...

I certainly respect everything Rusty has done on the track and have nothing against the guy. And I do give him props for taking a shot at announcing in the IRL. I like his enthusiasm. I'm just having some fun with him. I also have nothing against NASCAR. Race and let race, I say. I agree with you that Motegi was a snorefest, even for a big IRL fan like me. Here's hoping Indy is more competitive and Rusty cuts down on the I tell you whats.

 
At 4/26/2006 08:41:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

My husband was watching some paintball tournament later in the weekend, and Jaime was doing on the field interviews!

 
At 4/26/2006 09:24:00 PM, Blogger pressdog said...

It wasn't the same without Jamie!

 
At 4/27/2006 09:46:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I know this may be late, but who else was freaked out by Enge channeling Scott Goodyear?

 
At 4/30/2006 01:01:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

OMG! That was the funniest damn thing I've ever read. I was laughing so hard I was choking; I thought I was gonna piss myself!
Pressdog, you are DA MAN!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home